Christmas is STILL 52 days away
and the Christmas decorations, gifts, trees, etc have been up for weeks already. Why? It's not like Christmas doesn't come every year. Yet retailers act like it's as rare as the Hale-Bopp Comet and should be celebrated for months. We can't even enjoy Halloween and Thanksgiving because retailers are cramming Christmas down our throats. What sane person is in the mood to Christmas shop in October?
I stopped by WalMart and then Walgreens on my way home from work today... bad idea. It just ticked me off. With in 5 isles at WalMart I saw Christmas, a little Thanksgiving / Autumn, left over Halloween costumes, and "Welcome Race Fans" flags cause we can't miss out on cashing in on that redneck NASCAR holiday. It was a tacky display and hurt my eyes!!
I know how I sound, but don't get me wrong. I enjoy Christmas. I really do! I enjoy shopping for my family and friends to pick out a really cool gift I know they will love. I like playing "Secret Santa" to an unsuspecting friend or co-worker but by the time Christmas does roll around I already feel exhausted because America has been celebrating for 2 months already. No wonder people rip their lights down and throw their trees out on December 26th. They are sick of the holiday by then!
We need to go back to the way it used to be. The Christmas season officially starts on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) and celebrated until January 1st (because it's good luck to keep your tree up until New Years.) And further more, I propose that we start viewing those people who have their Christmas decorations up before Thanksgiving the same as the people who have theirs up past January... TACKY!!! We will call it Proposition 666. Add it to the ballot!!
And P.S. Sam's Club, those Christmas cookies and tree shaped pretzels you are selling are going to be stale by the time Christmas gets here.
Labels:
Rants
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment