Yep, one year ago March 8th I got my G6. Isn't she pretty?!

It was a labor of love and determination to find her. I searched every Pontiac dealership in the Valley and finally found her clear over in Gilbert. I will admit, it was not love at first site because red was not my first pick. But in the end it was meant to be, so I went back to rescue her from the Henry Brown car lot and brought her home with me.
The other day, I was remembering my very first car that I bought. A 1984 Ford Mustang... and man, was it ugly! I bought it the summer of 2000 from my Dad's barber - John. Super nice guy. John had been the only owner and I think the Pony's spirit died when he sold it to me. I bought it for $900 (and my Dad paid for half of it) so I couldn't have gotten a cheaper car. And it got me from point A to point B which was what I was needing at the time. But did I mention how ugly it was?!

At first it had these shaggy light blue seat covers in it, which I immediately took off and burned! It was red and rusted in some spots (how does a car in AZ rust?) but my favorite thing was the purple tint on the windows... oh yeah! The interior was clean and in good condition which I was grateful for but the radio would stop working if I hit a bump. The AC only worked when it wanted to, but that was ok because I'm from Phoenix and I can take the heat! John was even kind enough to leave some "parts" and a repair manual in the back but also warned me that if I found anything he left in the car to "just don't smoke it." It was a hatch back and when I'd babysit the Dimond kids I would sometimes drive them down to the gas station to buy candy or some other short distance from their house I'd put the back seat down and let them sit in the "trunk." Of course they would tell everyone that "Renee lets us ride in the truck of her car."
Believe me, I used to turn a lot of heads driving down the highway in my Stang! And I just figured I had to have looked good cause I know people couldn't possibly be wanting a better look my car. It takes talent to look good in 120 degree heat, sweating buckets, and styling wind blown hair.
My friends and I had several names for this car: The Stang. The Ghetto Pony. Haus, the Hoopty Horse. Renee's Hoopty. And sadly, to go along with it's many names the car also had it's share of mechanical problems. It used and leaked a lot of oil. In fact I didn't realize how much until my Dad followed me somewhere one day and even he got a little concerned over how much smoke it was putting out. What was even more sad was realizing that I wasn't turning heads... all those people must have been checking me out to make sure I wasn't on fire!!
After about 2 years, it died one Fall morning on the highway while I was heading to work. We didn't even try to revive him. My dad just towed him home and I was car-less for a few months before I found my Grand Am. In March 2003 I sold the dead horse to some guy for like $200 but the memories it gave me... or forced on me I should say, are priceless!
Upgrade...

This is, or was my 2003 Pontiac Grand Am. I saved for 2 years and suffered through all the headaches with that ugly mustang so I could afford him! I'd wanted a Grand Am since high school and I got pretty much my dream car. He was my Valentines gift to myself that year. I loved this car!! I was super picky and my Dad was so awesome and patient. He drove everywhere with me trying to find the exact car I wanted and then got me a really good deal on it. I have tons of memories in this car. Dozens of road trips to California, Vegas, Utah, and all over Arizona.
I remember the day it turned 100,000 miles. I had taken the day off work because my Mom needed me to drive her to and back home from her colonoscopy appointment. She was not looking forward to it at all (like who would, right?) and while driving down the I10 into down town Phoenix it was getting close to 100,000 and I informed her that "Today is your lucky day!" She kind of looked at me across her shoulder and was like "um, I don't think so." Too bad she was so out of it after her appointment that she wasn't as celebratory as I was when the odometer turned over to 100,000.
My Grand Am was my very first new car and I loved it every day for 5 years. I know this sounds silly, but it was a hard decision to get a new car. The Grand Am was still in very good shape. But, when it was time and I found my 2008 G6 that I knew I'd be happy with, I let him go. Well, actually I just gave him to my parents so I still get to see him and have gotten to drive him once or twice!
No comments:
Post a Comment