What's in a name?
My Senior year of high school, I took English 101 instead of- whatever your Senior year of English is. I had to write a research paper the second semester and my topic was on birth order personalities. Not only was the information I read about it fascinating it was amazingly accurate. And not just about what it said about me- being the second born child, first born girl in my family. The theory pretty much hit the nail on the head with every other family I knew. Now I'm wondering if your name also has an effect on your personality, who you become, or maybe even your appearance? Like, have you ever met a supermodel named Harriette? Or a little girl named Bella who wasn't beautiful? Or a guy named Jedidiah who wasn't pale and skinny? Or a woman named Cheryl who wasn't confrontational? Or a guy named Isaac that wasn't gifted program smart?
All of this thinking is due to an unwelcome call on my work cell late last night, or I should say very early this morning. I don't really care for this lady who called me. She's loud and rude and acts like she's being inconvenienced for having to call me in the middle of the night. Of course, I've over heard her take calls at the office (even though she sits about 30 feet away from me) and she sounds that way with everyone so at least it's not just me who seems to bring out her "charging bull" personality. Anyways, I won't tell you what her name is on here because I have to work in the same office as this women (and I'm pretty sure she could take me so if you want ot know- email me) but I have to say her name totally fits her... hence the charging bull personality. So, I have to wonder if that's just who she is or perhaps growing up with the name she was given has caused this?
Another fun example: Our MRO and I have a running inside joke that "all Reginalds are positive." Now, Reginald is not a common name so it tends to catch one's attention more so then John or Steve does. But I'm not kidding there are a lot of Reginalds out there, most however are not going to be a truck driver any time soon. And the ones that do get hired.. don't seem to last very long. Doc and I have decided to blame the parents who named the guy Reginald in the first place! I don't know. I didn't find any real ground breaking research online that links your personality to your name but it's something for people to think about before they pick out their kid's name.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment