A few months ago our group at work decided that as a little team building activity, we would donate our time to the St. Mary's Food Bank. Our boss arranged everything and on Saturday, December 17th we went to the food bank and made up hundreds of food boxes that would be given you to families in need.
I'll admit that the weeks leading up to going, I was not looking forward to it. It was close to Christmas, I was already feeling a lot of stress from work, on top of that - holiday stress as well, and I hadn't even started my Christmas shopping. So, the last thing I felt like doing was giving up part of my Saturday to hang out with my co-workers. We were all suppose to bring someone with us and I didn't even ask anyone. That's how much I was not wanting to do this. Even that morning I was trying to talk myself into faking being sick and not showing up at all. But, I'm never sick. I knew none of my co-workers would buy the excuse. So, I went - but not without dragging my feet getting ready and leaving the house that morning.
BUT I have to say, once I met up with my group for breakfast and then got to the food bank I had a much better attitude. The St. Mary's people were so nice and could not say enough good things about Swift. They definitely showed us the special treatment. When they put us to work we were on an assembly line that was filling boxes with canned foods, rice, cereal, macaroni, beans, etc. It was actually a lot of fun and interesting to learn how the food bank works. And it didn't even take us very long to get everything done. I feel really guilty that I had even thought about ditching out on it. I'm glad I went. Charity work is good for the soul!


No comments:
Post a Comment